This panel will look at achieving the human rights of women and girls and addressing inequalities that drive the AIDS epidemic. Panelists will discuss how to address gender-based inequalities and gender-based violence and intersecting forms of discrimination and ways of addressing these in the AIDS response. Panelists will also discuss advancing substantive gender equality, particularly with respect to health, including sexual and reproductive health and rights, education; economic rights of women and adolescent girls; and the role of men and boys in advancing substantive gender equality. Education will be used as an entry point to address HIV prevention in tandem with efforts to address gender-based violence and harmful gender norms, and to empower women and girls and draw on important linkages to the Generation Equality Forum.
Hybrid Format: One representative per delegation present in the GA Hall, virtual panel speakers connecting live via Interprefy. Meeting will be broadcast live on UN WebTV. Interactive, moderated discussion with opportunity for questions and answers.
• H.E. Ms. Karina Gould, Minister of International Development, Canada
• H.E. Ms. Monica Geingos, First Lady, Namibia
• Ms. Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Executive Director, UN Women
• Ms. Nadine Gassman, President, National Women’s Institute of Mexico
• Ms. Irene Ogeta, Associate Program Officer, ATHENA
• Ms. Shereen El Feki, Director Regional Support Team for the Middle East and North Africa, UNAIDS